Monday, May 24, 2010

Pineapple Rice


Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
Serves 4

1 1/4 cups water
1 cup pineapple juice
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup basmati rice
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped


[1] Bring water, pineapple juice, sugar, butter and salt to boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, then fluff rice with a fork.

[2] Stir in lime juice and cilantro.

We just used long grain white rice that we already had in the pantry instead of the basmati rice. 15 minutes is waaaaay too short of a cook time. I simmered the rice for about 35 minutes and it was STILL a little hard. I think next time I would cook it at a medium heat for awhile and then simmer. I also ran out of lime juice and cilantro, so we did without that step (not a big deal). The pineapple juice gave it a very sweet flavor. We all liked it, I just wish I had cooked it longer!

per serving: 209 calories; 4 grams protein; 1 gram total fat; 1 gram fiber; 1 gram saturated fat; 45 grams carbohydrates; 3 mgs cholesterol; 7 mgs sodium
4 Weight Watcher points

No comments: