Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Salad with Maple Dressing


Prep time: 5 minutes
Serves 4

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil

coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
5 ounces mixed greens
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 cup dried cherries

[1] Whisk mayonnaise, maple syrup, vinegar, and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil until mixture thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

[2] Toss greens, apple and cherries in a large bowl to combine. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Divide salad equally among plates and serve.


This was actually really tasty. I was skeptical about the maple syrup, but everyone enjoyed it. A couple things: I DID NOT buy dried cherries. They are like 10$ for a tiny bag. Instead I got a bag of cherry-flavored Craisins, which were yummy and sufficient. I also did not take the time to peel the apple, but I made sure to cut it into small bite-sized pieces. Lastly, we didn't have white wine vinegar, so I just used distilled white vinegar. Didn't seem to make a difference. I could make this salad once a week all summer!

per serving: 166 calories; 1 gram protein; 13 grams total fat; 1 gram fiber; 1 gram saturated fat; 12 grams carbohydrates; 4 mgs cholesterol; 50 mgs sodium
4 weight watchers points

No comments: