Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chicken and Stuffing



Probably my favorite meal my Dad made while I was growing up and my favorite meal to make for my family today. So easy and delicious!

Ingredients:

1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of celery or mushroom (I alternate, though I think I prefer the cream of mushroom.)
8 oz sour cream
6 chicken breasts
1 package of stuffing (the package I get is 6 oz)
1/2 stick of butter

Directions: Preheat oven to 350.

[1] Boil chicken until cooked through. Save pot of chicken stock (you'll need a cup of stock in a minute.) Cut chicken into desired size - I do bite-sized just for the ease of feeding children. Arrange chicken in a 13x9 casserole dish.

[2] In a bowl, mix sour cream, can of cream of chicken and can of cream of celery. Pour mixture over chicken in casserole dish.

[3] Evenly pour package of stuffing over chicken and sauce. (Traditionally my family used the cubed stuffing and this is what Cristin still likes, but recently I've decided I like the chicken-flavored crumb stuffing by Stove Top. Again, it seems easier for the kids to eat and the chicken flavoring is delicious on it. But this part is up to you - find one you like and stick with it!)

[4] Melt butter and drizzle over top of stuffing. Get one cup of chicken stock from pot you boiled the chicken in and also pour over top of stuffing.

[5] Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes.


You'll have left-overs with 2 adults and 2 kids, but when Cristin and I make this to share between our families there is just barely enough for 4 adults and 3 kids.



Super quick and easy, and I've never seen anyone not like this dish. Hope you enjoy it, too!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

This is one of my families favorite meals too. And my Chugg family cookbook is one of the only ones I keep handy all the time instead of putting it away on a shelf.